Wednesday 23 July 2014

Freedom


After a long relationship that failed, resulting in several complications in my life, and major hits to my wallet, I found myself in Bristol, far from anywhere I would call home. I was very alone.

I'd been banned form driving a year earlier and had just re-passed my test. Shortly afterward I spent all my savings on a Land Rover Freelander.  It wasn't a new one but it was a nice one - and it was significant nonetheless. It was the first car I had ever owned where the choice had been mine alone, and was purchased solely for my own amusement.

The following Saturday I went down to Yeovilton air show, in what was perfect flying weather. What greeted me was Team Swift, an aerobatic glider outfit, performing stunts I'd never thought survivable in a glider. It was this that actually inspired me to fly them. It was a funny sort of day. A typical British summer: a warm blue sky with a pleasant breeze and glorious white clouds in the sky. No better weather to witness an Avro Vulcan doing what they do.

Entertaining though the show was, I was more imbued with the notion of being a driver again and departed halfway through the show. I set Sally (yes, I named my Land Rover) in the direction of Weymouth. The reason being, I had never been to Weymouth, or indeed the South Coast.

It was an instant love affair. Weymouth is my surrogate Whitby; the seaside resort of choice back home in Yorkshire.

I parked Sally on double yellows on the harbour and bought a large portion of fish and chips to share with the seagulls. I was feeling generous. But there was no time to waste - and no reason to stop. I must press on!!

So I hit the coast road between Weymouth and Exmouth, calling in at Lyme Regis, Seaton and Sidmouth. Somewhere along the route I traversed over the brow of a hill to see the full shoreline of the bay open up before me. By this time the weather had changed and you could tell there was a storm on the way. There were huge low lying clouds falling off the cliffs of the Jurrassic Coast like a giant waterfall. I don't know if this phenomenon happens often but I was there! A perfect moment.

I have never seen anything like it before or since. I have taken people on that road ever since hoping for a repeat view, but it seems like, if there is a god, he made that day for me.

Because I am a disorganized cluster-fuck of a human being I don't get to go abroad, even though I can notionally afford it. So that day, God brought New Zealand to me, to save me the trip. Somewhere, nested deep on my hard drive is a photo, that I will publish another time, but it doesn't do it justice. What I saw was nothing less than magic. And only I saw it.

Somewhere near Exmouth, I found a way to navigate my clumsy Land Rover down onto the beach. I'd never done any proper off-roading so enjoyed a bit beach joyriding and waded Sally in the sea.  On reflection, it probably wasn't a good idea and probably pretty dangerous, but holy shit, that was fun!

Because the odds were on my side I made it to Exeter services on fumes. It was touch and go, but that set me up for the drive back up the M5, to a blinding sunset, while listening to Carcass. Sally was the first car I had ever owned with a CD player, which for reasons known only to them, was located in the boot.

To some, that's a pretty geeky day out. But for me, even though it had taken me to the age of 29, I finally had a day that was all about me, inspired by me, and lived to the absolute maximum. It was my first true taste of absolute, unfettered liberty. And since then, I have taken every opportunity to try and better it. I have not yet managed it, but I will continue to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment